Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

13/09/10: Returning to Inverness

My second day in the free world. The day I returned to my ancestral home: Inverness, in the Highlands of Scotland. Famous, of course, for Loch Ness and the “fearsome” monster it hold in its depths. I’ve met a few Nessies in my time as a Scottish gift shop souvenir, and I find them to be entirely amiable characters (Save for DrunkeNess perhaps... He’s never been able to hold his drink).
Mode of transportation: automobile. I cannot lie; I was feeling a queasy combination of excitement and nerves for my first car trip. I’ve received mixed opinions about this mode of travel throughout my life, and to be perfectly honest I was terrified of being one of those motion sickness suffering types. Now, with my first car trip to the back of me, I can’t even imagine missing out on the view, the wind in your fur or the road trip tunes for even a second in order to focus on being sick. With my background, I truly understand the importance of making the most out of life, and frankly there’s just no time for feeling sick in my journey of self discovery!
We made a quick stop over at a road side cafe. I wasn’t hungry but I did make good use of the free wifi connection. The internet is truly fascinating to me after what seemed like an eternity of being confined to a single room, with no information about the outside world coming in. I always enjoy the entertainment possibilities. I’ve quickly become a fan of Youtube- I just can’t believe some of the situations cats get themselves into! I must say though, I do think there need to be more Highland Cow videos. We are drastically under represented! For instance, if you are to type "highland cows" into the youtube search bar, you would get a return of 732 videos. If you type "cats" you get 843,000 results. What's so great about a cat attacking its own reflection anyway?
When we reached our destination of Inverness, the sky was filled with rain. I was so tuckered out from the long drive that I remained in the hotel room, remote in hand, Jedward on the screen (more on them later) as the female members of the Brown clan went shopping for provisions (read: clothing). I believe I was fast asleep when they returned.
Now, I do realise that in the world outside of Scotland, not everyone knows much about the majestic highland cattle at all. So I have prepared a brief list of facts for you, and more shall be coming in my about me page at a later date:

  • Highland cows are a breed of beef cattles (Imagine! people actually EAT us!) with longer fur than most. Their meat is leaner than a lot of other breeds, as we have our fur to keep us warm as opposed to fat like others.

  • We were bread from two original sets of stock, one black and one reddish in colour. Nowadays we come in an array of colours. I would best describe myself as either a dun, or yellow (synthetic fur is hard to classify).

  • We are a hardier breed than most, due to the elements we have to withstand such as rough torain and rougher winds.

  • The Scottish word for the highland cow is "kyloe" and a group is referred to as a "fold."

  • We also have horns. Rather impressive ones I might add
For more, try google. It's a fantastic website where you can search any imaginable thing! I'm quite a fan.
Ever wandering, Never lost-
Moo

1 comment: